Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Approach and Methodology

My idea in starting this site was to have it become a resource for Frazetta fans. I wanted to share a lot of the stories and behind-the-scenes information that adds a deeper dimension to looking at Frank's art and career. I would visit Frank once a month from 1982-2003. It was a 337 mile drive from Buffalo, New York. In 2003 I moved out west and never saw Frank again, although we talked often. After each visit I would sit in my hotel room and reconstruct in note form the adventures and ideas from that visit. I tried to capture the language and verbal constructions used by everybody. It was like transcribing a conversation. I wanted to preserve as much authenticity as possible for future generations and future scholarship. I wanted to write everything down while the details were fresh. Also, I have hours and hours of recorded phone conversations as well, done with Frank's permission. He was honored that someone cared enough. I sincerely hope the Frazetta name will continue to be seen and respected and positioned prominently in art history. The quality is there to warrant this optimism. I'll continue to post as long as my enthusiasm remains intact. The Frazetta universe is vast. I've been getting a lot of very positive feedback. This approach seems to be a good one. As Aristotle said: those that take pleasure in something, want to know all the particulars surrounding it. Frazetta fans want to know about the art, the background, his life, and his overall character. These are all pieces to a fascinating puzzle in progress. The final story of Frazetta will be extraordinary, once all the details emerge. It will be seen as an American triumph and an American tragedy.

(c) DocDave Winiewicz

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Dave,

I for one just want to say thank you to you for all you have done and what you have selflessly brought to all us fans.

So Thanks Dave.

Tracy

docdave said...

Thanks Tracy! I really appreciate all the positive encouragement. All the true Frazetta fans enjoy the information and the little behind-the-scenes glimpses. I'm writing the kind of site that I like to read.

DAVE

Old School Illustrator said...

I echo Tracy and add that what you are doing Dave is akin to those ancient scholars that once sat down to record what has become the canon of scripture! I am absorbing your every work and posted picture with great enthusiasm. Frazetta is the wellspring from which I came and you are refreshing the water. THANK YOU!

John Ageeb said...

This blog site is GREAT!!I love seeing this stuff and the text is well written and informative.It's one of my favourite sites to visit on the web.

Best
John A.

John Ageeb said...

This blog site is GREAT!!I love seeing this stuff and the text is well written and informative.It's one of my favourite sites to visit on the web.

Best
John A.

tale3185 said...

hi I herd of frank f. long time ago 60's 70's but because of work, family, and the busy life of raising our kids never had the time to really focus in to it, I always loved to draw since I can remember,copying the great artist, my favorite been tarzan's hogarth, but now been retired and having a COMPUTER, all the comunication at my hand, will like to espress my admiration for that great, great, great!!!!artist I'm very sorry that people like him have to (also) past away, people that can express them self like him should live alist couple of hundred years,or more so several generation can enjoy it thanks lou.